Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Getting real

Every once in a while I try painting "real". Painting in a realistic way that represents something as it appears. I find it fun, like doing a puzzle. I think I do prefer my usual folksy, fun, wacky, imaginary style. See, when I paint that way, there is no right or wrong. I get very caught up in what isn't right about my realistic paintings. I do like the pigs that I painted recently.



I like the soft pastel colors in that one, and the expression in his eyes. Once I do paint an animal in a realistic way, I learn more about what they look like for when I stylize them in a folk style.



I painted this self portrait today. It was challenging, that's for sure! Just thought I'd show you something different I've been working on. It's always good to try something different every once in a while to keep your imagination sharp :) xoxo

5 comments:

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas said...

Tascha, I always love your work -- but your self-portrait has to be one of your best. Absolutely beautiful! :)

Krissy said...

LOVE! Always love your fun, whimsical style but I must say.....I'd like to see more of these types, too!

Lauren said...

Both paintings are just stunning! :) ~Lauren

The Tote Trove said...

Your realistic pig looks great, as does your self portrait. I myself have always preferred painting unrealistic things, partly because I think they're more fun, partly because, as you say, there's a little more leeway. I liked that you pointed out that you need to master realism before branching off into fantasy, though. Kind of like how you need to learn grammar before dabbling in writing that bends it a little.

♥ ♥ ♥ Cold Porcelain by Erika Alvarado said...

I'm happy to have found your blog. Your work is beautiful.