Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Silver Fox



Today I would like to talk about "natural beauty". Beauty that comes from within. Deep in the soul and radiates out like sunshine. This is what I strive for. I want to be beautiful on the inside....both spiritually and health wise. I want my body to be healthy and functioning at an optimum level. I want my inner peace to shine. This is a tough battle living in a society where looks are everything. The exterior. I am constantly having to *explain* my grey hair to people. They will ask things like "why don't you dye your hair?" and "What's going on with your hair?" or "what happened to your hair?" I say "I like it like this" and of course, they look at me like I'm crazy.

I know about hair dye. Yes, I've heard of it before. In fact, in college I had my hair purple. I liked being different....and I guess I still do. I like being a rebel with my grey hair. I like going against the grain of societies norms. But more than that, I like being natural. I am proud of who I am. This is me. My grandmother had snow white hair, she went grey early too. I feel a kinship knowing the grey hair "gene" was passed down to me. This connection I feel is far stronger than what some fashion magazine says I should do.

Sure, I may look "older" than I would if I dyed my hair chestnut brown.....but does that matter? Age is wisdom. Age is love. Age is enlightenment. As I get older I feel so much more compassionate and insightful. Why try and hide that by looking younger and less experienced? ;)

This is my life. I choose to look like this. I want to focus on my mind, body and spirit. It is all that matters.

I have a lot to say on this topic that can't be covered in just one post. I will post more later. But for today I want to leave you with this photo of a beautiful woman.
The author and illustrator Tasha Tudor. She aged gracefully. Pure beauty.

14 comments:

canngil said...

Agree with you totally. But I think Grey Hair, or Silver Blonde, as I call it, needs the right state of mind to work it. You need to embrace it as your true self, and enjoy it! I finally allowed myself to go grey after my 1st grandchild was born. It looks great! I have the white locks as you do at the front, and have let my hair grow longer than I have had in ages. Lots of compliments on the new look! The texture changes when it goes grey too, and it is like a whole new head of hair that lets me play with it. Most notable is french braiding my hair with stripes of white grey from the front blended in. You go girl, and be true to yourself!!

Felicia said...

be proud of your grey, you are beautiful!!!

Niki Jackson said...

I think it's so great Tascha! You already shine brightly so keep doing what you're doing. Blessings Niki x

We Blog Artists said...

this is a beautiful post...it's sad too many of us are held up on our youth...we should embrace our age and years of knowledge etc...you are a beautiful person.
I started the whole foods no meat or fish kick this new year too...my husband and I watched forks over knives and basically decided that like you said, our bodies can heal themselves...actually a friend who has diabetes has stopped one dose of injections per day!!! just from not eating meat and dairy for 3 weeks...and eating lots of veggies!
HUGS dear Tascha.
Char.x

Georgina said...

Tasha, I will be soon be turning 60, and looking forward to it. I decided years ago, before my hair began to turn gray, that I wouldn't touch it. I have what is so sweetly called, "salt and pepper" sprinkled throughout my naturally dark brown hair. I love my "skunk" tail that I have on my forehead.

Like you, I liked being a bit different and dressed in a manner that was considered, "Bohemian;" I called it "my look." Right now, I'm in the process of getting back to my health...menopause did a real job on me and the weight gain turned my waistline into a wasteland, so off to the gym for some calorie burning and having fun.

I look forward to more posts about aging and the absolute beauty in it.

xxoo,
Georgina

Janine said...

I allways liked your grey hair, you are so right

Joanna Dover said...

I love silver hair - it is truly beautiful! I hope mine turns silver.

Catherine Holman said...

I quit coloring my hair three years ago and you can see how white my hair is in my recent blog post. I get the same questions all the time. I like being different. Your hair looks great!
Two thumbs up!

Unknown said...

What a wise post. And the shout out to Tasha Tudor was lovely, to— that photo of her is so beautiful!

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

My boyfriend's hair went gray when he was 23, though I didn't meet him until he was 40ish. And no one ever bugs him to dye his hair. Yet I get a few gray lines and he's the first one to complain about it. It bothers him more than it does me!

Leticia said...

Great post Tascha. Big fan of Tasha Tutor.

bertie said...

Hi Tascha...couldn't agree more! My mother had gorgeous silver hair and when she tried to dye it, the hairstylist refused to do it! My hair is luckily turning the same color and I am proud of it. I love the saying by Shakespeare (I think)..."With mirth and laughter, let the grey hairs come!"

quitethecrow said...

I love your hair! I've gone gray too and it is liberating. I had to wait until my daughter moved since I am "never to grow old" when she's with me!

Kim's Creations said...

I let my hair go grey about 6 years ago and I was shocked at the responses I would get from people, some were even mad at me which I really didn't get! Why should other people care what I do with my hair. I think I am inspired to try again. I hate coloring my hair, I use a Lush product that is natural and it stinks and you have to leave it on for 4 hours. By the end my neck is so sore because as this mud dries it is quite heavy, oh my what we put ourselves through.